Mississauga VotesBanner

Info for Candidates

Who can run

Nominations for the 2018 municipal and school board elections are open from Tuesday, May 1, 2018 to Friday, July 27, 2018 at 2 p.m.

To qualify as a candidate you must meet all of the following conditions:

  • a Canadian citizen
  • at least 18 years old
  • a resident in the City of Mississauga or a non-resident of Mississauga but you or your spouse own or rent property in the City
  • not otherwise prohibited under the Municipal Elections Act, 1996 or by law
To run for the Office of Mayor, Ward Councillor, Peel Regional Chair or School Board Trustee for the 2018 Municipal Election, you must file a nomination paper. Until you file a nomination paper, you cannot raise or spend any money on your campaign. You must provide at least 25 endorsements from eligible electors in the City of Mississauga with your nomination for Office on Council.

The nomination filing fee is $200 to run for Mayor and $100 for all other offices. For information on the filing fee to run for Regional Chair please contact the Region of Peel.

Nominations for the Offices of City of Mississauga Mayor, Ward Councillor and Trustee will be accepted in the Office of the City Clerk, 2nd Floor, Civic Centre, 300 City Centre Drive, Mississauga.

Nominations for Peel Regional Chair will only be accepted at the Region of Peel Offices. For information on running for the Office of Peel Regional Chair, please contact the Region of Peel Offices at 905-791-7800 extension 4326.

For more information, please see Eligibility to Run.

Updated Guides and Forms will be posted at the beginning of April 2018.

Appointment of scrutineer

A scrutineer is a candidate's representative who observes the voting process at a voting location.

To appoint a scrutineer, candidates must complete the Appointment of Scrutineer Form. The appointment form must be filled out by the candidate prior to a Scrutineer entering a voting location to observe the voting process. The Scrutineer must show the form at every voting location.


Ward boundaries
The City of Mississauga is divided into 11 Wards. If you are not sure of your Ward, check the City of Mississauga's Ward map.

Candidate's Guide
The Ministry of Municipal Affairs has produced a Candidates' Guide to provide information to candidates in municipal and school board elections.

Campaign spending limits

Campaign spending limits will be available on May 1, 2018.

Candidates are not allowed to spend money to campaign or ask for or accept contributions before filing nomination forms.

Campaign signs

There are rules governing the use and placement of campaign signs. Please read the Sign By-law for more information.