Mississauga VotesBanner

Info for Candidates

Filing Your Financial Statement

If you filed a nomination form, you must file the Ministry prescribed Financial Statement Auditor's Report - Form 4 by March 29, 2019 by 2pm. This includes candidates who withdrew their nomination, candidates who were not certified and did not appear on the ballot, and candidates who were acclaimed. You can submit your Financial Statement via email to election.office@mississauga.ca or in person Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm in the Office of the City Clerk, Civic Centre, 2nd Floor, 300 City Centre Drive.

If you did not receive any contributions (including contributions from yourself) or incur any expenses, you are only required to fill out the first page of the financial statement and sign it. If you received contributions or incurred any expenses you must complete the relevant parts of the financial statement. If your campaign contributions (including contributions from yourself) or campaign expenses are greater than $10,000 you must have your financial statement audited and include the auditor’s report when you submit your financial statement to the clerk. 

Candidates that are registered in the City of Mississauga’s Campaign Contribution Rebate Program must use the Candidate Portal to complete their Financial Statement. Otherwise you can download the Financial Statement Auditor’s Report – Form 4 from the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing’s website: Financial Statement Auditor's Report - Form 4

For more information, review these Frequently Asked Questions.  If you require assistance completing your Form 4, please contact the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing at 416-585-7041 or mininfo@ontario.ca or seek independent legal/ accounting advice.

Who can run

Nominations for the 2018 municipal and school board elections are open from Tuesday, May 1, 2018 to Friday, July 27, 2018 at 2 p.m.

To qualify as a candidate you must meet all of the following conditions:

  • a Canadian citizen
  • at least 18 years old
  • a resident in the City of Mississauga or a non-resident of Mississauga and you or your spouse own or rent property in the City
  • not otherwise prohibited under the Municipal Elections Act, 1996 or by law
To run for Mayor, Ward Councillor or School Board Trustee for the 2018 Municipal Election, you must file a nomination paper. Until you file a nomination paper, you cannot raise or spend any money on your campaign. New to this election, all nominations for Mayor and Ward Councillor must include at least 25 endorsements from eligible voters in the City of Mississauga. This is not required for School Board Trustee.

The nomination filing fee is $200 to run for Mayor and $100 for all other offices.

Nominations for the Offices of City of Mississauga Mayor, Ward Councillor and Trustee will be accepted in the Office of the City Clerk, 2nd Floor, Civic Centre, 300 City Centre Drive, Mississauga.

For more information, please see Eligibility to Run.

Nominations must include:

  • The Nomination Paper - Form 1 available through the Ministry of Municipal Affairs.
  • Endorsement of Nomination Form – Form 2, from 25 individual eligible electors in the City of Mississauga, available through the Ministry of Municipal Affairs. (Only if running for Mayor or Ward Councillor.)

Nomination papers are available online at mah.gov.on.ca or at the Office of the City Clerk, 2nd Floor, Civic Centre, 300 City Centre Drive, Mississauga.

All Ministry of Municipal Affairs forms are available at this link.

For more information on how to complete the financial statement, please see completing the financial statement.

Appointment of scrutineer

A candidate may appoint scrutineers to represent him/her during voting. Candidates may appoint one scrutineer for each ballot box in a voting location. The number of scrutineers who may be present is reduced by one while the candidate who appointed them is present in the voting location.

The appointment of a scrutineer must be made in writing. Candidates can use the Appointment of Scrutineer Form to appoint scrutineers. The appointment form must be filled out by the candidate prior to a Scrutineer entering a voting location to observe the voting process. The Scrutineer must show the form at every voting location.

School Board Trustees

The Ontario Education Services Corporation (OESC) has produced a guide called Making A Difference for Kids for all School Board Trustees to provide more information to individuals running or interested in running for a school board trustee position in the 2018 municipal election. For more information, please visit www.elections.ontarioschooltrustees.org.

Candidates for the School Board Election are reminded to submit your profiles to TrusteeCandidateInfo@oesc-cseo.org. Please include your name, school board and ward. You may also include a photo, brief biography, email address and website address with your submission.   


Online Course, So You Want to Run for Council

The Association of Municipalities of Ontario offers an online course, geared to individuals who are planning to, or have registered to run for a seat on municipal council. The course information is available at MunicipalEducation.ca.

Ward boundaries
The City of Mississauga is divided into 11 Wards. If you are not sure of your Ward, check the City of Mississauga's Ward map.

Candidate's Guide
The Ministry of Municipal Affairs has produced a Candidates' Guide to provide information to candidates in municipal and school board elections.

Campaign spending limits

Campaign spending limits will be available on May 1, 2018.

Candidates are not allowed to spend money to campaign or ask for or accept contributions before filing nomination forms.

Campaign signs

There are rules governing the use and placement of campaign signs. Please read the Sign By-law for more information.

Who is running

Nominations for the 2018 municipal and school board elections are open from Tuesday, May 1, 2018 to Friday, July 27, 2018 at 2 p.m.

As nominations are received, the Who is Running page will be updated.